Every single networked computer needs to know three things:
- IP Address – The operating system will respond to packets destined for its IP address unless in promiscuous mode.
- Netmask – Allows the OS to know how large the local network is.
- Router IP Address / Gateway – When your computer wants to communicate outside the subnet, then it must speak with a router.
- WAN – Wide Area Network. ISDN, Frame-Relay, ATM protocols.
- LAN – Ethernet
- Reliable – Prevents corrupted transfers.
- FTP and HTTP use this protocol.
- Unreliable but fast.
- Great for streaming video or video games.